What is this you say? A weird skin disease brought back from the mesozoic age? No, no I say, that isn't right, it's what baby Stellanne does all day and all night. (Yes, I know I rhymed - thoughtfully from her favorite book Moo, Baa, LA La LA!)
So Stellanne has a new type of communication - that she really dug her little fingers into and uses at all moments of quiet. Pterodactyling. You know, high pitched squeals of pure happiness. That are almost on the brink of something you might hear when your child has been harmed? Sometimes I'm almost positive that she is trying to see how loud and high pitched she can squeal. She doesn't do it to get our attention; because surely once you started paying attention to her she'd stop. But no, our little pterodactyl continues; sometimes until the pitch has gotten so high that it makes her cough.
Sadly it reminds me of my Dad; when he died we created a list of what we liked to call Dad-isms. Things that seemingly only my Dad did - leaving 2 tblspns of milk in the carton and putting back in the fridge like it was a full carton. Writting a Christmas letter that in itself was like a Christmas book (usually 8 -9 pages long). Unfortunately it seems that my memory has failed in recalling all of these isms; but nice how something so simplistic as my daughters squeals bring them back to me. I often find myself wondering about my Dad and his grandchildren. I'm saddend that he didn't get the opportunity to interact with them. I think about how he would have talked to Stellanne as she gleefully squealed in his arms. It very much saddends me that I don't ever get to see that. And thankful that I get to see my mom interact with her every day. It's wonderful that they are building a bond - that even if Stellanne doesn't whole remember it - will always be there.
On to happier thoughts and back to my orginal line of blogging - did you know that Pterodactyl starts with a P? It took me at least 10 minutes to find the correct spelling. I knew I had it wrong (Terodacktle) when I googled the word and only 6 entries came back. The english language never ceases to amaze me with its intricacies and pure randomness.