Monday, June 29, 2009

Stellanne's "First" Sentence

So I'm being VERY liberal with the term. But Stellanne has started to ask, What's that? I think it started two weeks ago at the grocery store. For reasons that I can't seem to remember right now, Stellanne and I ended up at the grocery store alone.

On a side note, it's super fun to spend time with her alone. It's almost as if she knows that you are the only one to fix her "problems" so she complains less. If she throws a binkie while you are driving down the road, and you tell her "sorry, can't reach it" she understands. Whereas, if there are 2 other adults in the car, even if she threw it in the only place that all of you can't reach, she thinks you're lying. And it also seems like I get to know her more. When I'm with Lisa and her, Lisa and I talk. When Stellanne and I are alone, she's the one I talk to. Anyways, I'm just saying I enjoy it.

So as we start off in the produce section, Stellanne clearly questions "What's that" So I tell her, apples. So she starts to point to everything and ask. Her little brain is soaking it all in. She is starting to notice differences and comment on them. While I realize that soon it might be tedious to answer every "What's that" with an excited answer; I'm VERY excited that she's talking this much. She often get's by with whinning or pointing because she has 3 adults to cater to her. So it's an exciting moment when she actually starts to use her words.

There are some differences she can't notice though, and they are slightly funny. So this weekend we held a garage sale. It was VERY productive. We got rid of a lot of junk that was cluttering our garage. Mostly duplicates from the combined households (ours and my mom's). I wouldn't say that we made a ton of money, but I wasn't unhappy with our days work. The most productive part of it was cleaning out the garage and getting it to a point where we have a work space and a car(s) parking space. Which I credit Lisa with doing most of. So back to my story. My oldest sister came to contribute/partake in our garage sale. She lives in the boon-docks. And not only would no one come to a garage sale for her, but they really don't want people poking around.

So Friday night, WAY past my bedtime, she showed up with a truck full of stuff to sell, most of which I think did sell. One thing, I'm SURE didn't sell.....the fake grapes. Which Stellanne had NO idea were fake. She was SO pissed when I came RUNNING to stop her from trying to pick a fake grape and eat it. At least 5 garage sellers where at our sale when I ran from one end to another yelling "NOOOOOOOOOOO, NOT REAL, STELLANNE STOPPPPPPPP!!!!!!"

You see, Stellanne's favorite fruit is grapes. Fresh, Frozen or dehydrated, she LOVES them all. And her little hands were wrapped all around the fake grapes. The moment is funny now, then I was scared!

So anyways, Stellanne, is using her vocabulary; of which I'm often concerned isn't large enough. But Lisa and I have counted and she definately has a vocab of at least 20 words; so I suppose for 19 months she's not doing so bad. Particularly because she's started to do "sentences" :)