Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Officially the worst parent EVER!!!


So Stellanne grew this weekend. Could have been Saturday night or during her morning nap on Sunday, but clearly her shoes no longer fit her. I am sure that her foot growth spurts are some lame attempt at karma to get back at me for going through so many shoes as a kid. But in my defence, I have wide feet, and they NEVER make kids shoes in wide widths.

So today we trekked to Wal-Mart to buy Stellanne shoes. Afterall since she'll be done with them in seriously like 1 week, why spend more than $10? (Side note, bought Stellanne a whole load of shorts, shirts, and capris at Old Navy, during an AMAZING sale - I spent equal amounts to all of her clothing, as the ONE pair of shoes to match an outfit...pictured below, I did this less than 2 weeks ago!)

So we buy Stellanne 3 pairs of shoes. We could have gotten away with 2, but they had lined crocs for just $1 - so how could we (well really Lisa, because we all know I'll NEVER say no to shoes) say no. We got some tennis-esk shoes, a pair of VERY cute sandles and then the crocs.

Once we get to the car, I proceed to put Stellanne's new crocs on her. She's VERY impressed. But mostly with the fact that she can take them off in like 2.2 seconds :) About 5 minutes later, less than 1/2 a mile from Wal-Mart, my mother notices that I've neglected to buckle Stellanne into her seat. Lovely....

We stop IMMEDIATELY and buckle her.

Fast forward to tonight. We eat dinner, play for a while, and then I take Stellanne to bed while Lisa mows the back yard. We read a book, drink some water, sing a few songs (including all 8 verses to Candle Candle), snuggle a little bit longer and then I put Stellanne to bed. I then came back downstairs to upload pictures to flickr (current still doing that). After I have been sitting here for 20 minutes looking for a prego coupon I hear just the faintest BLOOD CURLTING scream.

Rewind to Stellanne's nap. While Stellanne was sleeping, Lisa took it upon herself to weed the entire forrest behind us :) As I'm telling Lisa that the Hornings are on their way over, I hear Stellanne, I tell Lisa I'll get her up. I turn off the monitor and....F*CK!!!!!! I turned off the monitor.

I run as fast as my fat little feet can carry me up the stairs as I remember this horrible circumstance. As I open the door, Stellanne is standing in her crib, tears STREAMING down her face. Binks, blankets, bottles strewn on the floor and the crib in the DOWN position. I assume that she must have been shaking the crib so hard that it just gave way. Because I do clearly remember lifting up the side right before I left.

I know that I'm not a terrible parent. But boy does it feel like it tonight. NEVER have I let so many unsafe things happen to her. THANK YOU LORD that she is perfectly fine, that we didn't get in a car accident in the Wal-Mart parking lot; that she didn't try to climb out of the crib and break something.

I'm sure that in a few weeks I'll laugh, infact I mildly find it funny tonight.