Thursday, June 11, 2009

Paying it forward @ Starbucks

So for those of you that frequent Starbucks, might have heard about paying it forward, which if you are in the drive through is technically paying it backward. For those of you that don't frequent Starbucks, let me explain. When paying for your drink you pick up the drink of the next person in line (which I guess is technically backward, but since its the NEXT customer that's why they call it paying it forward). Happens ALL the time at my Starbucks. Used to be just on Fridays...then it just plain got random.

So let me also add in, that I get one of the cheapest drinks on the menu. Next to getting just a drip coffee my Americano is cheap. $2.50 for a Venti and $2.05 for a Grande. I do get a discount because I have a Starbucks gold card, but even with out the discount, my drink is cheap.

So yesterdayLisa and my mom went to drop of the Veracruz for service and I asked them to stop by Starbucks on their way back and get me a drink. I hand over my starbucks card, which only get's loaded with $60 per month.

A VERY strict budget. This month I've used my money on buying another reusable iced cup, so my coffee budget has been shortend even more. Well worth the cost, which is why when I weighed the options I decided that spending $15 of my $60 budget was worth the cup. I also purchased a box of Starbucks via, which is good - but at $1 a drink not worth it. When I can get a jar of instant espresso for just $3.27 at Winco ($.33 a cup).

But I digress. I handed over the card. When they get back Lisa hands me my drink and card and we're all good. Until she tells me later that there is only $2 left on my card. I say, well that can't be- when I checked the balance on Tuesday it was $11 and change so minus my $2 drink I should have $9 and some change. But not so. You see my mom and another lady arrived at the drive through at the same time. My mom thought she looked like she needed coffee more so she let her go first. My mom ordered my drink first and then created another order for her drink. When they got to the window they are told that the lady in front of them purchased my drink (for $2.05) my mom frazzled by this says oh, okay - hands them my card and says here, pay for the person behind us. Who ordered a Venti Carmel Frappacino. She also got so frazzled that she had them pay for her drink on my card. Her drink isn't that bad something like $3 but the Frappacinios are not cheap. Small parts of Italy can be purchased for less. And I got the distinct pleasure of paying $7 and some change for my $2.05 drink.

My mom did not realize that I knew this fact. So this morning she took S to nursery school and then made a special stop to Starbucks and back home before running some other errands. She clearly felt bad, so she tried to slip it in like she was just doing something nice (of which, she was). I mentioned that Lisa had told the story...she muttered something like "oh yeah" and hung her head.

So keep this in mind next time you decide to start a pay it forward at Starbucks. Some of us have very limited budgets and this is why we do not order a Venti Carmel Frappicino. it's nice to get your drink paid for, but not so nice when the guy behind you orders a drink 3 x the cost of yours.