Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Started working with a Personal Trainer

So, as discussed, I think, Lisa and I got a gym membership. Sounds kinda silly, if you really think about it. We pay money to go to a place and work out. But, it does help us find the motivation to actually go and work out. I'm pretty proud of us, granted, it's only the second week, but we have gotten our butts out of bed almost every morning to go to the gym. I think we are feeling better. I know at least I am. My sleeping seems to be easier. It could all be mental - only time will tell.

So last week Lisa got to meet with a personal trainer, its the gyms way of making money. So they set you up with a free "assesment" and give you ideas on excersizes. Lisa had a hard time walking for 3 days afterwards.

You would assume from her pain that the trainer was a mean prison guard type person. Oh no, she looks like she's all of 12 and 100 lbs soppying wet in sweat clothes. So I was a little apprehensive when she called me and wanted to set up my assesment. I knew that I wanted a personal trainer - I think I need the help to meet some of my strength goals. I think the cardio I'm doing okay on, but I need to gain more upper body strength and tone my body. The deal we got was 5 sessions with a trainer for $99. Technically 6 sessions since you get this first assesment for free.

I am a little sore, but a totally different sore than Lisa. My trainer (we'll call her S) had Lisa do squats and lunges until Lisa thought her legs were going to fall off. While she did have me do some lunges and squats, they weren't the focus of our work out. She instead focused on using free weights to do some upper body work. I did feel good that most of the excersizes that she was having me do, were all things that I had done previously. You know...just a few years ago when I was in college :) Technically it was the last time that I was seriously working out regularly. Probably the time that I felt best about my body too.

I'll be meeting with her on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. At least for the next few weeks. She made me promise that while I was in vegas I would get up each morning and work out. Because apparently you lose muscle 4 times faster than you gain it. I guess that explains why you are so weak after being sick and stuck in bed for a few days.

On another note, I also lost a pound this week. Very exciting considering I haven't really changed my diet. I'm sure if we made some serious changes I could lose more, but I suppose the long term weight loss is better for me anyways.