So tomorrow is Stellanne's first birthday. But upon waking up this morning thoughts in my head actually had to do with today, and not tomorrow. 11/13/07 was a VERY pivial moment in our lives. You see, not only did Lisa go into labor at 3pm in the afternoon one year ago - I spent most of the morning, on the phone with my former boss crying. Seems so far away now, especially because I work for a great boss that appreciates me. Someone that trusts my judgement, and has no need to micro manage me. But in ways today one year agos feels like it was yesterday. Lisa and I were planning this huge move to Texas and I was fighting with my boss over a trival $5K. I thought my world was falling apart - and little did I know I was actually brushing off the dirt to find gemstones below. I left work "early" that day to pick up our dogs from the groomer. I had probably been in the office since 6am - but for some reason leaving the office at 3pm seemed early to me. I hadn't been home but 10 minutes when I got a call from Lisa.
Lisa: "Hi, I'm going to the hospital"
Janette (thinking: oh dear what's wrong now) "Why is everything okay?"
Lisa: "I've been in labor for the last hour and my contractions are 3 minutes apart"
Janette: "REALLY...oh gosh, okay, I'll meet you at the hospital........."
Lisa: "Emily is going to drive me in my car, and I'll meet you at the hospital"
Janette: "okay"
Immediately after I hung up the phone with Lisa, I left the house. And started driving towards the hospital. Neglecting to think of the dogs, our "hospital" bag, the car seat, or anything else. Luckily, I didn't get too far before these things came racing back into my mind. I turned around and knocked on the neighbors door to ask them to sign for our car seat (being delivered that day by UPS) and left a note on the front door that read "BABY COMING TODAY, please leave car seat with neighbor <---" I also tried to put together the hospital bag, clothes for Lisa, clothes for the baby, chex mix....I neglected to include anything for me. I hopefully will remember that next time. I put food and water out for the dogs and left. It felt like an eternity driving to the hospital. What's funny is I had never envisioned what it would be like if Lisa went into labor when I wasn't there. I just anticipated that one morning she would wake up and say "Janette, its time" I guess I watch too many movies. I arrived to the hospital about 30 minutes before Lisa did. And some how I called my mom to tell her that Lisa was in labor, and talked to my sister about leaving my previous job. Finally Lisa arrived! I was so excited and nervous all at the same time. By the time she arrived it was probably 4:30ish. We got checked by triage and were able to walk the hallways of the hospital that I was once a volunteer at. While walking for that hour we had deep conversations about me leaving my job. About staying in Seattle even though we had JUST sold our home. And it became pretty clear that I had to do what was right for our child. This little girl that I didn't know, I needed to protect. And that meant finding another job that would keep me at home more, a job where my family life was more important than my work life, and a boss that understood that. I talked to a close friend while Lisa was in labor, he gave me a lot of insight as to what should be important as a parent, and I am very thankful for his advise. I think that this year has been the best year of our lives because of it. I think the absolutely ironic point of this whole thing? I got a bonus this week that was equal to the amount that my previous boss and I were fighting over. This week, of all weeks. I guess it just kinda proves that I am where I am suppose to be.
And I can't imagine my life without Stellanne. She is truely an amazing little girl. As I look at her transformation over the last year, I get tears in my eyes and thoughts in my head how the next 17 years will go faster than this year. I look forward to them, and at the same time, I hope they go as slow as I want them too.