Sunday, October 12, 2008

I'm going on a pumpkin hunt....

We're going on a pumpkin hunt! I'm gonna catch a BIG one! I'm not afraid! Got my boots, and I got my camera! Can't wait to find one cause it'll be be so great!

Oh wait,almost forgot my cash. Not only do we drive to BFE to go to this "great" pumpkin farm (through the short grass, over a hill, up a tree, down a tree, through a puddle), once we get there...we have to pay $2 to take a tractor out to a field and find a pumpkin to pay $15 for....a 51 lb pumpkin.

Oh yeah....I know you are jealous.

But wait, it gets better. This year, unlike other years, there are no wheel barrels for you to take your 51 freaking lb pumpkin in from the field. Instead I'd pick up the sucker, carry it 20 or so feet before I had to stop. I even had to push a little kid away from my pumpkin when I had made it 3/4 of the way in. It went something like this...

Janette..."pant, pant, pant....okay I gotta stop for a second" Puts the pumpkin down.
Little kid "HEY MOM...look at this one" (touches it even though i'm clearly standing right there) "It's perfect. Get Dad."
Janette "ummm, sorry, this one is taken" (get your f*ckin hands off my pumpkin) "Its so big we had to rest. But there are TONS over there....." (points to where there are no pumpkins)
Little kid (pretending like he didn't hear me) "This one will fit the cool face I want to make"
Janette (picking up the pumpkin) "guess you'll have to find another one KID"

Okay, I left out the part where his mom told him that it was taken. Didn't seem to make my story pop. But still. I seriously wanted to hit the kid.

So then we wait for the rest of the clan to bring their bounty back. Which takes a while, but whatever, we aren't on a time schedule. Just as everyone arrives to the tractor departure zone, 3 trackers all pull up and start unloading. We stop and take a few quick pictures. And are about to get on a tracker when the guy says...sorry, take the next one. That's okay. No big deal. The next one shows up and is litterally a flat bed with hay to sit on. So let me go back and tell you about the ride to the pumpkin patch....

We are in a tracker pulling a sided and railed with walls bed. And there are wooden benches. Half way to the patch...the idiot driving, drops his forks. I litterally fell into an old mans ass. Not a place I like to frequent. Luckily Stellanne was sitting on Lisa's lap and they kinda fell on me. But Lisa said that Stellanne pretty much fell. We made light of it so she wouldn't cry...but it was frighting.

So do you think there is any way in HELL that I am getting on a flat bed? NO. My sisters have more guts. And if Stellanne was older, I probably would too, but right now, I don't, so we waited. 2 tractors later we finally got a walled in tracker bed. And luckily...there were no encounters with old mens asses.

The best part of the trip was after we got the pumpkin and got it into our car. We put Stellanne in a barrel of pumpkins and she was thrilled. She couldn't hurt anything and thought it was funny that she was in there. I get so much enjoyment out of her laugh. We took tons a pictures and finally went over to my sisters house for dinner.

It was a nice trip...but next year Orting might beckon my name. I just can't see driving for almost 2 hours to get pumpkins when Orting is a farming community offering the same "experiences". BTW, the pumpkin patch has the highest cost for pumpkins around. at .29 cents a pound Walmart far beats them. While I agree to supporting local farms...they need to be more in line with mainstream costs, especially when they are charging for the tractor ride.