Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Still losing weight!

Current mood: thirsty
I have lost a total of 51 lbs. Everyday people notice and comment. I am very excited by this. It makes me feel good. The thing that excites me the most is how much energy I have. I've lost weight before, but never this much and at this point I feel like I could do anything. While I realize that I can't do everything, the mobility and range of motion that I have now compared to before surgery is astronomical. We got a new seat for my bike and it has made the world of difference. We went on a bike ride on Saturday and I think we rode for at least 5 miles. Each time we are able to go longer. This weekend we want to go on a trail near our house. It runs parallel to a HWY and is shaded by trees. Last weekend we went on a really pretty ride, but it was SO hot, because there was no shade. It was so hot that the pavement was melting under our feet! We have a family vacation coming up in August, we are all going to go camping in California. Lisa and I want to take our bikes, so I know that I'm going to have to step up my abilities, since I doubt there will be many bike trails that are completely flat in the high Sierras. I am excited for my family to see me, I think they will all be stunned. Afterall I don't even recognize my own face on my profile, so I'm sure they will be shocked as well. By the time that I see them I'll have lost 60 lbs and about 70 since the last time I saw most of them (for some of them it will be around 80 lbs).

I have up'd my protein intake. I have dropped protein shakes altogether. Afterall I hated them. Instead I am drinking a lot of milk. I drink 4-6 cups per day (36-54 grams of protien) plus I realized that chicken is 6 grams of protein per oz, not per breast. This means that most of the time that I eat chicken I am getting in around 20 grams of protein. Hopefully this increased amount of protein will stop the loss of hair that I am experiencing. While not too incredibly noticable, it drives me nuts that if I just barely touch my hair it will fall out. Plus I need the protein for my muscles, and skin.

Next week I have my 3 month post-op visit (I can't believe its been 3 months). I hope that my team (surgeon, dietian, & excersisologist) are all pleased with my progress. I not sure that I am loosing weight at the same rate as other people, but I suppose it doesn't matter. I am still very pleased that I had gastric bypass and would not change my desicion.