Friday, January 25, 2008

New Job...New Life

Current mood: excited

So I started my new job this week. Wow...what a different atmosphere. I feel very out of place; mostly because I'm no longer in a position that requires hours of talking to people (well not yet...) It's weird to really only email the people I work with.

We had a sales meeting in Walnut Creek this week; a kind of Sales kick-off. What a learning process and ego boosting experience. 1 - I'm definately the youngest of the group, probably by about 2x my age. 2 - With such seasoned professionals, the fact that they wanted me to help them succeed speaks volumes. 3 - This company/business is so drastically different than my previous company that sometimes I have to focus on making sure my mouth isn't just hanging open. For example - we drew up a commissions plan that the AVERAGE sale makes around 21K. No, that's no how much the contract is worth, that's how much the sales person makes!!!!! And that is like your run of the mill contract. Large contracts make a crap load more.

My boss is very different. On paper, he is VERY intimidating. Graduated from Harvard and still sits on the admissions board. He's probably worth more than I can even fathom - and is the most down to earth kinda guy. I'm very excited to be working for him. Although, I have to say that hoping and praying that someday he'll invite us to his "winter home" in Tahoe. The one that is right on the slopes.

I'll let you know more, as I learn it. Right now, I'm just in a huge learning curve :)