Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Lost

Current mood: obsequious

I'm hopelessly lost. I would say a good 4 minutes of my day, I'm not lost (my work day, not my home day - hard to tell the difference because I work from home; but trust me there is a difference.)

Today, my 4 minutes was on the phone with some sales person, explaining that I really needed him to get me this database because next week I have a meeting with my boss and he'll expect that I have actually acomplished something. I'm not at all sure that even with this database, I'll acoomplish anything. I never anticipated how difficult it is to get things accomplished when you don't clearly have your goals infront of you. Well, actually let me restate that. I came up with my goals on Friday - for 4 weeks because I'm not sure how long they will take me to accomplish. Some of the items I need to accomplish will take far more than one year.

(Side note - the snow is beginning to stick...not good)

But I'm having a hard time determining how to accomplish goals that I didn't think would take that long to get done. For example, my company attends about 16 tradeshow/conferences a year - I got a list today of the most important tradeshows with the instruction of "get us registered and ready for the event". Sounds simple right? Oh except I'm brand new to this company, I don't know any of the company credit card 's; I don't know what our budgets are; And I don't know who to contact to find out the information. I now completely understand my old sales department (sad I know) I spent most of the last year screaming in frustration that they were retarded - truth be told - they aren't; they just weren't given enough information to not sound like complete idiots.

So here is my plan; I am going to learn as much as I can about the business over the next, say 2 years, and then transition into a sales person. I think if I have enough information that the selling part becomes easy. The unfortunate part - is that the next 2 years will be very frustrating while I learn.

I'm going to go check the mail - before the snow takes over the entire street.

BTW - a big $1 bill to anyone that can tell me what obsequious means (without looking it up on dictionary.com)